Sunday, March 11, 2007

Bags 'n' Socks

...and a scarf, a completed and - if I do say so myself - very nice scarf, too. Here are a few views, including actual modeling by Nisa, herself. It's Firebrunette's Candleflame scarf but in Reynold's Whiskey yarn on size-4 needles.





Mary's bag is done! Hooray! It's not quite what I initially envisioned, but what patternless project ever is? I like the colors and the shape and the plastic-canvas lining gives it some rigidity without being bulky or high-maintenance. I really hope it fits her and her wheelchair as needed... there are plenty of buttons for adjustableness.
Please note the evenness of the top flap - initially, after felting, the edges shrank inwards quite a bit, but Sara the Felting Goddess saved me from inwardly-shrunken edges. A close call, that one.



I also sent a bag for Sarah, one of my adventures in felting that came out a bit smaller than I needed for myself... but it just exactly holds a bag's worth of Hershey Kisses.



...and then I succeeded in making the right sized bag for myself, just something for wallet and keys and cell phone.


And, last but not least, on Friday night, after finally finishing Nisa's scarf and wanting to start something new but not feeling mentally competent for too much of a challenge, I decided to break out the sock yarn and double-pointed needles, and after about 6 hours of knitting (not all at once, but only because I didn't start until 11:30 Friday night and fell asleep while knitting), viola! Socks! And let me just say, these are truly magical, miraculous socks. The pattern I used, here (but without the knit/purl pattern at the top, because I'd never used DPNs before and wanted to keep it simple), had nothing to do with the yarn (Marks & Katten's Clown), plus I altered the pattern to accommodate Emily's almost-7-year-old feet, and the yarn colors have a fairly long pattern - totally by coincidence, it turns out that one Emily-sock is precisely one repeat of the color pattern, and the two socks match *precisely*. This is astounding to me every time I think about it, and my only hope is that there is someone out there who can properly appreciate this miracle, because the ones I live with just don't.

Anyway - look, I can make socks!

7 comments:

N. said...

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooo! I look hideous! The scarf? Gorgeous. Me? Hideous.

Kate said...

Oh, please. You have a beautiful, happy smile, and you're wearing a color I can't get away with even in a store dressing room. You look just fine. The scarf is just happy to be along for the ride.

Rachel said...

Oh pretty scarf! I love the color.
Re: your post on discovering that you knit Combination, I recently discovered that I hold my chopsticks differently from everyone else. Not as earth-shattering as knitting differently, but still weird to realize. I can still pick things up with them!

Wendy said...

You are a knitting goddess. Nisa looks fab, too!

N. said...

Oh I look gorgeous here! ;)

I think you should go out and buy some lottery tickets now because that sort of thing obviously doesn't happen everyday (the sock/yarn thing). And those are way cool socks - Emily seemed to love them too.

Anonymous said...

You are the Mistress of Knitting! Amazing objects. The candle flame turned out gorgeous - but I'm also completely turned on by the socks. Stunning magic, lady!

Anonymous said...

Your candle flame turned out beautifully! Congratulations!