Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Frenzy of Finished Items

Well, or, at least, mostly finished. I found myself getting very antsy and uncomfortable last night - apparently, I can handle three works-in-progress at once, but four is beyond my capacity and makes me itchy. So I finished off a dishcloth for here:


A pair of dishcloths for my father and his girlfriend (eek!) at their new place (eek again!):


And Mary's bag... not entirely finished, true, because I need to get buttons and a zipper for it, but it's moving along. This is the before-felting version:



I'm not 100% thrilled with the felting, only because it made one spot narrow, along the top of the bag, that I would prefer not to have shrunk that way. Not sure how I might possibly have prevented it, though - and once it's in use it shouldn't be too obvious. Anyway, here's the post-felted bag... it's still pretty, though I'm not sure I'll be felting much else in the future. I think I liked the pre-felted fabric better, though admittedly this will be much more practical and use-able.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Without my little-old-ladies knitting group I would have many many problems with felting. A little secret they let me in on is you can "undo" the tightness of the felting in spots if you soak the bag in white vinegar. It loosens the fabric enough so you can stretch it back into the size you hoped it would be. The downside is it will stink like vinegar, so you'll have to do a cold handwash, block it in a towel, and reshape it to dry. Hope this helps! Great looking bag, by the way. I love the color variation of the yarn.